Monday, January 09, 2006

Erik's is ok if you are looking for something obsure

O.K. I have had a personal grudge against Erik's Bike shop ever since one of their stores opened in Dinkytown right next to the Varsity Bike shop, the bike shop that always had my back as a student at the U. This weekend we were looking for a race for an axle for a Giant road bike from the 1980's. We went to Freewheel, the Hub, Penn Cycles. We tried to go to Grand Performance and Express Bikes (they are closed on Sunday!). We tracked down Rice Street Bikes, where the bike was purchased originally. Now it is a frisbee golf store.

We finally gave in and went to the Erik's bike shop in Dinkytown. There was a young man manning the store, all alone. "If you like pina coladas" was cheerfully playing the Muzak and I felt a pang of sympathy for the guy. He found the races! In like 4 minutes. Pretty impressive.

A friend and I spent the afternoon yesterday being vulture-like at a yarn store that is going out of business on 58th Street and Nicollet. I snagged 10 skeins of 100% mercerized cotton for $20, some little circular needles and sock yarn that actually makes making wool socks cheaper than buying them. I'm looking for US #19 circulars that are 40 inches long to make t-shirt rugs. I think that I should be able to make Tubey with the cotton. I hope that it is springy enough. I made the swatch last night and it was beautiful.

No comments: