Friday, March 03, 2006

back from Ireland

I went to Ireland with my dad for 3 weeks. It was the longest time we had spent together since I moved to the Twin Cities nearly 9.5 years ago. Holy crap, I have been here for 9.5 years.

I learned alot. I learned how to drive a stick shift down a very narrow road that looks like there is only room for one car anyway so I didn't have to worry about which side of the road to be on. I learned to veer towards the left when I met another car and to smile and wave. I learned to check to make sure that I have a jack when I drive off with my rental car. I learned alot of other stuff that is not car related as well.

I rode my bike to work and back for the first time in months. It was good. Windy. The Midtown Greenway is one of the most depressing places in Minneapolis in this muddy goopy time.

I'm starting to train hardcore (well, hardcore for me) for this Leukemia/Lymphoma Society marathon this summer. I'm going to 2 group runs every week and then I run on my own 2 times a week. I ran 4 miles on Wednesday. It was the farthest I have ever run in my entire life. I like the fact that I'm being introduced to distances around the Twin Cities. I had no idea that it was only 2 miles from Lock and Dam #1 to Lake Street along the river. Our coach seems to enjoy the Minnehaha Falls/Creek/Lake Nokomis area, so I'm looking forward to becoming intimately acquainted with those areas. I was really worried about injuring myself with the mileage that was assigned this week, but I believe that if I run any distance slowly enough, I'll never get hurt.

No comments: