Saturday, March 11, 2006

running a lot

I have been running a lot lately. I can hardly believe that I have run 49.2 miles this year. I haven't been biking much. I put the old drop-downs on the Ross Compact. Somehow it wasn't as fun as riding on the Schwinn in the summer. I can't wait to get the Schwinn down from my bike rack.

Last Saturday I was at the Bike/Travel/Fitness expo in the bowels of the Minneapolis Convention Center. I was volunteering at the Minnesota Ironman booth. I was able to sneak away and I got to ride my first fixie. Edina Cycle had a bunch of recumbants and then they had a 52cm Redline fixie hidden behind their big Minnehahaesque quadcycle. I was drawn to it. The sales guy told me that he had better flip the hub and I said, no that is what I want to try. Apparently I was braver than he. The only anxious part was taking off on the cement floor. Once I was going it was smooth and fun. I backpedaled a lot because I was riding around a very short track. This hurt my knee.

I visited Hiawatha Cyclery last Sunday with the boyfriend. It is a really cute little store. We chatted about a lot of the products and the background on the stuff. The boyfriend had never seen an Xtracycle so that was fun. Jim also had a Redline fixie for me to check out. It goes for $500. I got my back Reelight (which he was sweet enough to sell me separately) and a water bottle. After we left the store, the boyfriend turned to me and said, "Wow, you ARE a bike nerd". I forgot the difference between a geek and a nerd, but I think that I'm more of the one that know everything about a category of thing, as opposed to knowing everything about one specific thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Geek? Nerd? I'm not familiar with those terms. In any case, I often am amazed that some people don't seem to develop deep interests in anything.

Thanks for stopping by the store, and thanks for opening up your blog to comments.