Thursday, February 17, 2005

Strong interest inventory

I spent pretty much all day at an event for work making popcorn (I love my job). The goal was to lure wayward freshmen and sophomores into the Great Hall, and then pounce on them with interest inventories so that they can discover their place at the U. I took the short version of the inventory just to see what it was like. You mark on a list things that you enjoy doing. The things are catagorized into the 6 categories that some guy named Strong developed as attributes of employees not being in complementary distribution.
Investigative: enjoy researching on your own
Conventional: low tolerance for ambiguity
Realistic: the only one that really needs explaining. Working with your hands on something tangible
Social: helping people, etc
Artistic: like to do artsy things
Enterprising: if you said you like to sell stuff, duh.

Theoretically we were supposed to have 3 categories with the highest things marked.

For me, the first two tied and the second two tied.
First 2: Investigative and Social (I am told that this is very weird as they are on the opposite sides of the spectrum)
Second 2: Realistic (makes sense, I like working with me hands), and get this
Conventional!

I'm going to go to bed. My apartment is cold and my bed looks warm. I started running again in the evening so I hope that I have a good night's sleep.

No comments: